Friday, December 12, 2008

They Say I'm Stupid (part 7)

By Missy Beezley

Ok, so maybe you are great in the “looks” department. You have all of the ideal and sought after physical features the world says are “must haves” for true success. You are handsomely gorgeous in every way, shape and form. But there is only one problem, “I’m stupid.”

Well, did you know that it is actually stupid to say that you are stupid? It really is! Then again, if you were to clarify the statement and say something more along the lines of “I’m stupid when it comes to Algebra.” In that case, I would probably say, “You know, you probably are stupid in that area.”

You see, if you think about it, we all are stupid in our own areas. For instance, don’t ask me to go into the kitchen to stuff and cook a turkey for Thanksgiving because it would be a disaster waiting to happen. Being in the kitchen is out of my element. I’m just not good at it. Does that mean I’m a complete idiot and unintelligent? No! certainly not! It only means that I’m not related to Emeril. However, if you need help on an English paper or would like me to write a funny script for the next high school play, I’m just the perfect one to ask. I’m good at writing. Does that mean that I’m a genius? No! It only means that writing is a talent that God has allowed me to have. I’m stupid in the kitchen but smart with a pen.

So, you see, for you to say that you are altogether stupid is a foolish statement to begin with. God has equipped every human being on this planet with a combination of big and little talents that they can use at any given time. The thing you have to figure out is, what are those talents? A good way to figure this out is to try different things that interest you. And ask God to reveal to you what your talents are. The second thing you must do is decide on whether or not you will use your God-given talents to glorify Him or yourself. That is up to you.

I don’t know what your talents or skills are, but I guarantee you that you have them. Everyone does. Intelligence doesn’t lie only in books and schooling, it can be found everywhere! For instance, the ability to do construction work, be a mechanic, cut hair, act, sing, write, crack funny jokes, get along well with kids, draw, speak another language, play a sport, speed read, build model cars, throw a baseball……All of these are talents and skills. You have many of them hidden away within you. What you need to do is find out what yours are, put them together, and use them for God’s glorification.

When I start feeling stupid I try to remember what Will Rogers said on the subject: “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.”

I’ll continue this series in the next blog…

No comments: